Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

Kaosun's CD Players

Forgot password?
 Repair!
Search
View: 5958|Reply: 3

Sanyo CDP-31 tracking alignment

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-10-22 18:47:28 | Show all posts |Read mode
I have this Sanyo CDP-31 player that works with some discs but not with others.
When discs play, it is very sensitive to any shock, even skips from pressing some buttons, and from a dog barking too close! So clearly it needs a servo alignment.

With the discs that don't read, it spins and I can hear the focus coil "grinding", so I believe it is achieving focus, but is not tracking correctly.
I found the service manual for the CDP-4, although it only includes the schematic. Most of the circuit is the same. I have located the test points (tracking and focus output and error, PLL, and RF out) points, as well as all servo alignment potentiometers (TB, TG, FB, FG, PLL).
The next thing will be to look at the RF on the scope.
Any ideas on the alignment procedure for this player? Any help appreciated.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time 2022-10-22 20:25:12 | Show all posts
If possible, connect a analog 40M oscilloscope to read the RF pattern. Adjust it to 1.2Vp-p with commercial discs; furthermore, adjusting TB and FB to make your RF biggest and cleanest. Your reading will be excellent.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2022-10-25 05:15:57 | Show all posts
Thanks for the help, I will upload photo of the trace when I can. I adjusted and got the biggest signal I could get, it's mostly good, even when trying to read discs that won't play. What I found is that when there is no signal from the laser there is a big sine wave on the RF, about 0.3Vpp, about 3x the frequency of the RF. I can see this noise in the RF.
Time to check the DC-DC section and verify capacitors. Or perhaps replace them all? I thought they all measured OK but maybe I missed one.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time 2022-10-25 11:28:42 | Show all posts
The 0.3Vp-p might be a bad ground connection. Caps over 47uf should be replaced one by one.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Repair!

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile|Dark room|Kaosun's CD players

2024-03-28 09:45 GMT-6 , Processed in 0.027782 second(s), 20 queries .