Search
View: 13223|Reply: 7

Issues about sony d10

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2016-01-19 17:51:40 | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello, everyone. I own a sony D10 that seems to produce substantial static noise when plays. Could anyone tell me any possible cause for this situation, just for the sake of general knowledge.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time 2016-01-19 22:10:09 | Show all posts
Ordinary the laser and motors will generate noise.
There're two coils inside of the laser, focusing and tracking coils. The focusing coil is in charge of vertical tracking of the rotating disc. Even if the surface of the disc is not even, the coil can always drive lens up/down to track the orbit so that the laser point can always land on the surface of the disc.  The tracking coil is in charge of horizontal tracking of the orbit of the disc surface. If laser motor doesn't move at all, the tracking coil can still follow the orbit up to 30 seconds. After this 30 seconds, the laser motor will drive the laser head a little bit further to enable the laser for next 30 seconds' available time.

These two coils vibrating inside of a magnetic field, so they make noise. This phenomenon is also the principle of a loud speaker.

Noise also comes from two motors. One is we mentioned just now the laser slid motor which is used to push the laser back and force. The other one is spindle motor, it drives disc rotate CW and brakes disc when stop is pressed.

On the circuit, the adjustment of focus and tracking gain will obviously affect the noise from the laser. Usually we place these two parameters at the middle to obtain a balance between disc reading ability and noise.
If you're talking about electrical circuit noise coming from your earphones, we need check the quality of power supply whether it has great ripple noise; or we need check the ground connection of the laser assembly. For some models other than D10, we need replace all aging capacitors before further inspection. D10 has no capacitor issue.

Hope above make some sense to you. THX!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2016-02-22 15:04:08 | Show all posts
I just joined the forum because my D-10 has a similar issue.  Music plays through both the headphone and line-out jacks however, there is also continuous digital sounding static coming through both jacks.  It sounds a bit like a skipping cd.  The noise is about the same volume as the music and increases when turning up the volume.  I thought that it might have been the power supply so, I tried it in the car using the CPM-100P mounting plate and the noise didn't go away.  Do you think this is the Coil or Motor issue you mention above?  What would be the cost to repair?  Also, if I were to do the battery repair at the same time, what the total cost be?  Thanks!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2016-02-23 19:08:47 | Show all posts
STUDIOH20 2016-02-22 15:04
I just joined the forum because my D-10 has a similar issue.  Music plays through both the headphone ...

All right, last time master Gu replaced the laser to get rid of the problem. SO I guess your D10 had a similar situation? It's a surprise for me to see that many d10s have the similar problem.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2016-02-25 15:48:55 | Show all posts
Thanks Kara, I don't recall having any issues with playback when I stored it years ago.  I imagined a stiff belt or hardened grease causing poor tracking or something similar related to idleness but, I suppose it could be a bad laser.  Not sure why it would go bad just sitting.  Strange that the noise seems to be playing over the music which, as far as I can tell, isn't skipping...

Anyway, I'm new here, can you tell me if "master Gu" & Kaosun are the same person?   If so, maybe a PM would get a response?  Cheers.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2016-02-27 12:35:15 | Show all posts
Master Gu is the same person as Kaosun, the owner of this site. He also has a lot of posts related to PCDP repair at head-fi:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/29323/the-diy-discman-repair-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/530633/ ... er-service-bulletin
As he said, until your D-10 is opened, we can only guess about its problem. Hardened grease, laser, focusing coils, sled motor, turntable motor, shorting capacitor...
My five cents: when I posted similar symptoms (here or at head-fi, don't remember) for my D-90, Kaosun suggested checking/exchanging its TT motor. I did and this digital noise was gone! So, if this thing you are hearing is getting worse by the end of the CD then it may be fixed by lubricating the spindle of TT motor.
As always, should you get stuck, just send it to Kaosun. It looks like he is the last guy on the planet who can professionally fix any portable CD player.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2016-02-29 12:22:18 | Show all posts
STUDIOH20 2016-02-25 15:48
Thanks Kara, I don't recall having any issues with playback when I stored it years ago.  I imagined  ...

yeah , they are the same person.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2016-02-29 19:13:47 | Show all posts
Thanks for clearing that up!  I'll check out those links.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Repair!

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile|Dark room|Kaosun's CD players

2024-04-20 04:50 GMT-6 , Processed in 0.026309 second(s), 20 queries .